When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more.
Hello and welcome to our guide to how to choose the best electric toothbrushes!
Not satisfied with the cleanliness you can get using a traditional toothbrush every day?
Are you thinking of switching from a traditional toothbrush to an electric one, but you do not have a clear idea of the features of the best electric toothbrushes and do not know which one to buy?
Don’t worry: in this guide on how to choose the best power toothbrushes we will try to explain to you those that according to our editorial staff are the most important selection criteria!
First of all let’s try to understand what are the advantages of using the best electric toothbrush compared to the traditional toothbrush. After all, many of us have always used the traditional toothbrush, so why change? Why does the powered toothbrush guarantee a deeper oral hygiene than the classic manual toothbrush?
What Are the Advantages of Using an Electric Toothbrush?
Let’s try to list the major advantages of the best rechargeable toothbrush:
- the main advantage is certainly a more accurate resulting oral hygiene (also in terms of more effective plaque removal). This is mainly due to the fact that the number of movements per minute performed by the best electric toothbrush is enormously higher than what you can do by manually moving the traditional toothbrush. In particular, later in this guide we will better see the various types of movements that the best power toothbrushes can do.
- moreover the working mechanism of the best electric toothbrushes is quite simple. They are in fact equipped with an internal motor, and a head that houses the bristles which, when engaged on the motor shaft, moves quickly, brushing our teeth. The head is also removable, so that it can be replaced regularly. It is clear that such operation usually guarantees a fairly long average life of the product.
In reality, until now we have only seen the basic functioning of electric toothbrushes: we are about to discover together that there is much more to evaluate in choosing the best powered toothbrush!
What Are the Best Electric Toothbrushes?
How To Choose The Best Power Toothbrush?
When you are thinking of buying an electric toothbrush, you need to keep these factors in mind:
- Cleaning Accuracy
- Ergonomics and Design
- Battery Life
- Value for money
Best Electric Toothbrush: Cleaning Accuracy
This is the most important category to evaluate when choosing an electric toothbrush. We certainly want to buy a toothbrush that guarantees a thorough cleaning of our teeth.
We all know how important oral hygiene is, both in terms of health and in relationships with others. We also know very well that if we neglect our oral hygiene, sooner or later we will have to go to the dentist to solve the problems of our teeth. This experience, which scares some of us, can also be quite expensive.
The level of cleanliness offered by the best rechargeable toothbrushes does not only depend on the number of movements they are able to make, which in the case of the best products can be measured in thousands of movements per minute. The overall cleanliness is in fact closely connected to the types of movement that the cleaning head is able to perform, and in particular the possible movement types are:
- pulsations / strokes
Every additional movement that the head is able to do contributes to a better final cleaning. Only by joining all three types of movement can our electric toothbrush guarantee the best cleaning accuracy.
But there is another factor that we absolutely must not forget when we talk about dental hygiene. We need to consider the number and type of brushing programs available in the electric toothbrush model we are buying.
We will see better below what types of programs exist and their purpose, but know now that the best powered toothbrushes combine certain types of heads with certain programs. Remember therefore to consider the number and type of heads included (see below Features and Accessories), because the maximum cleaning effectiveness is obtained by combining a program with the dedicated toothbrush head type.
Best Rechargeable Toothbrush: Ergonomics and Design
An essential feature of the best electric toothbrushes is the ergonomic handle, which guarantees a comfortable grip during the brushing.
The grip of our toothbrush, however, must also be non-slip, since when we brush our teeth the toothbrush gets wet and therefore could slip from your hand.
Also important are the construction materials, which in the best power toothbrushes must be resistant and light.
The ease of use of the controls should not be underestimated, for example in order to choose the brushing program.
Finally we analyze an aspect that may seem secondary to you, but in our opinion it is good to emphasize it. The support and recharging base of your new electric toothbrush is in fact an important accessory of your new toothbrush. The base is not simply a support to keep the toothbrush in a vertical position, but it can also have one or more of the following functions:
- in all cases it also acts as a recharging base for the battery
- it can hold a certain number of spare heads, or heads dedicated to certain brushing programs
- the bulk of the charging base is important, also because you may find yourself having little space on your sink. In this case, you will have to choose an electric toothbrush with a space-saving charging base (perhaps by sacrificing the space for the additional heads)
Features of the Best Electric Toothbrushes
To ensure the best possible cleaning, the best electric toothbrushes include several cleaning programs.
For example, we know very well how many people suffer from gum problems: in this case brushing programs for sensitive gums are recommended.
There are also programs to carry out more “robust” sessions, in case you need more thorough cleaning.
You may also be interested in specific types of tooth polishing programs, or programs to remove food debris, etc.
As mentioned above, some brushing programs are combined with dedicated types of brush heads for the selected type of cleaning.
Another important feature is electric toothbrushes must be water-resistant, because we’ll of course use them under running water.
Also check if your new toothbrush has a pressure sensor, with a led indicator to tell you you are applying too much pressure while brushing your teeth. This is important to avoid gum redness.
Some of the most advanced toothbrushes offer bluetooth connectivity so that you can use them with their apps, to get on-screen indications on how to best brush your teeth.
Accessories of the Best Powered Toothbrushes
Ok, the number of available accessories is quite large, so let’s make an example list to get a better idea:
- replacement heads
- dedicated head types to be used in combination with special brushing programs
- travel case, which may be connected to the power cord so that the toothbrush can be charged even when it is placed inside the case itself
- wireless display that gives us information on the correct mode of use and the optimal time we have to dedicate to cleaning
From these examples, we can understand that the type of accessories is limited only by the imagination of the manufacturers (and by what we want to spend on our new electric toothbrush!).
Best Rechargeable Toothbrushes: Battery Life
The models we recommend are all equipped with a rechargeable battery: in this sense, the operating time that can be obtained after a complete recharge is important.
Usually with a full charge (and considering to brush your teeth three times a day) the best electric toothbrushes allow you a battery life lasting up to several days. In this way you are not necessarily obliged to always recharge your toothbrush. Of course, the battery life depends a lot on the type and frequency of use you make of the toothbrush.